Friday, June 29, 2007

Blog Interview with~Chow Down Phoenix

How appropriate is this for my first Food Blog Interview with Jason of Chow Down Phoenix. Not only is he also from the Valley of the Sun, here in Arizona, but like me grew up in Orange County, California. As I'm browsing through blogs, Chown Down Phoenix caught my attention was Jason's fantastic recommendations for not only restaurants locally like Joe's Real BBQ in Gilbert, Arizona, but his photographs of the food, look just as if I were sitting down to eat at the restaurant. Which is something I find very helpful when it comes to choosing where we're going for dinner. He's also just recently returned from San Diego, and a trip to San Diego wouldn't be complete without visiting Coronado Island. I've found Jason's Chow Down Phoenix very enjoyable and informative to read, I hope you do too. On with the Interview.

What motivated you to start Chow Down Phoenix?

Back in early 2006, a couple buddies from work and I started this really juvenile venture called Project I.C.E. (International Cuisine Expedition). Every two weeks we’d go on a “mission” to a restaurant that represented a different regional cuisine, and then we’d put a sticker on this huge National Geographic map for each country we’d visited. After about a year, we started talking about creating a blog to rate/review the restaurants we’d been visiting.As it turned out, I got really absorbed in the whole idea and kind of took it on as my baby. It’s my hobby now; I truly enjoy it.



Do you have a favorite restaurant that comes to mind?

There’s a tiny Italian restaurant in Huntington Beach called Basilico’s Pasta e Vino. “Mamma” used to run the kitchen and make all the meals from scratch. Every visit was a heavenly experience. The restaurant is still there, although I’ve not eaten there in about five years. I have to get back there next time I’m in Orange County!



At which restaurant did you have your most memorable experience?

One experience that sticks out in my mind was during my high school days when we dared my friend Jerry to eat a “20 by 20” at In-n-Out. That’s 20 patties and 20 slices of cheese between two buns! The manager was so excited about the order that he took over the grill and put the monstrosity together. It didn’t go down easy—Jerry started turning green about ¾ of the way through, but after about 45 minutes he had finished every last bite. He went prepared; he brought a fork, knife, and bottle of Tabasco with him, lol. Before we left, we got a Polaroid of the manager holding up Jerry’s arm like a heavyweight champ after a big fight. The most amazing thing was that when we got back home, I made a thick, jumbo-sized chocolate malt for him (I make good malts), and he downed it like it was nothing. Half an hour later, we hit the pool, and he was doing laps like Tarzan. He was an eating machine.



If you had to choose, which type of cuisine do you like most? And what wouldbe your favorite meal?

That’s a tough one, but I’d have to go with Italian. There’s nothing I like better than excellent plate of fettucine alfredo served with milanesa (thin cut, breaded steak). Wash that down with a cannoli…badda bing!



Where does your love of food and cooking come from?

I think the Food Network is to blame. I quickly became hooked back in the mid-90’s when Emeril started his first show, Essence of Emeril. The show was entertaining and relaxing, and it drew me in to the world of food and cooking. Cooking is a unique and personal art form. When other forms of art are presented to you, you can see them, hear them, or possibly touch them, but with food and drink you can smell and taste them as well. It is highly sensual in the true meaning of the word, and I suppose that’s why dining can be such a romantic experience. To me, a homemade meal that someone puts their heart into is one of the greatest signs of love. Just think of grandma cooking a huge turkey dinner on Thanksgiving or your spouse cooking a special dinner for you on your birthday…food brings us together.



What goals do you have for your blog? Are you considering writing a book?

I want to reach as many food-lovers as possible, and I think the best way to do that is to create a unique experience for the reader so they’ll want to keep coming back. I want my readers to be able to experience restaurants through the blog as if they’re sitting at the table right in front of the food. Ultimately, I want to make people hungry. If I’m making people put down the mouse and head for the pantry, then Chow Down Phoenix is a success. I’d never rule out the possibility of writing a book someday. I enjoy writing, but the idea of a book is a little intimidating. Let me know if you have a good idea for a theme.

Thank you, Jason for taking the time for this interview!

No comments: