Sunday, July 8, 2007

Home made Strawberry Ice Cream

Nothing tastes better on a Hot Summer's Day, than a deliciously cold scoop of creamy ice cream. Just one spoonful of ice cream can instantly cool you down and make you feel better. And ice cream is fun to eat. As kids we would eat it as fast as we could, before it all melted, and hoped we didn't get a brain freeze. You can eat ice cream in a cone or in a cup, with sprinkles or chocolate syrup. Ice Cream is synonymous with Summer Fun. I like a big scoop of vanilla ice cream covered in hot fudge. But today the kids and I had fun making homemade strawberry ice cream. First I went and bought a Cuisinart ICE-30BC Pure Indulgence 2-Quart Automatic Frozen Yogurt, Sorbet, and Ice Cream Maker .When I got home with it, I never expected the thought of homemade ice cream would give this family a little pick me up from this awful heat wave. Then I went to the store to pick up strawberries, cream,a lemon, and some sugar.



Katelyn had fun as I was cutting off the green tops and slicing the strawberries. Katelyn was doing this, " Put one in the bowl, put one in my mouth, put one in the bowl, put one in my mouth."



After the strawberries were all sliced, I then added a 1/2 cup of sugar and the juice of one lemon over the strawberries, and set them back in the fridge to macerate for a few hours.




After taking the macerated strawberries out of the fridge, I strained the juice and set it aside. Then I divided the sliced strawberries in half, putting one half in a mixing bowl. Then I mashed them.




To the mashed strawberries, I added the strawberry juice, one cup of sugar, 2 and a half cups whole milk, and 2 cups heavy whipping cream.




After mixing everything together, I then pour the strawberry ice cream mix into the ice cream maker, and use according to the manufacturers instructions.



About 5 minutes before the ice cream became solid I added the set aside other half of sliced strawberries.

Grab a spoon! Hope you enjoy it! Tastes better than any store bought ice cream for sure!

4 comments:

GollyGumDrops said...

That looks fantastic. We've had a washout summer in England so far, so I've been making jam out of extra cheap strawberries left on the shelves. I may try and give ice cream a go.

Beccy said...

That looks delicious, great new blog as well.

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to try and make homemade ice cream but I don't have the ice cream maker. Do you think it's worth getting one? How often do you use yours?

Anonymous said...

Love the food blog, I'll be back again!
God bless :)